Booking a hotel isn’t a simple task. It’s not go online, find a hotel and book it.
So in December I’m thinking of going away for a little time. This would be my first time leaving the country (excluding the US) on my own. So I will be planning my own vacation, paying for it etc. Finding a good flight is pretty easy, finding one with a good hotel to go with it, is a whole other kettle of fish.
I find when you’re going to certain countries or cities you can rough it and stay at a motel or a 2 star motel or something like that. But certain countries or cities, nothing against them, but you don’t want to go to anything below a 4 star. You just don’t want to risk it. To make matters worse, my parents would absolutely have a cow if I told them I was going back to Jamaica and staying at a motel somewhere off a left turn of Timbuktu.
In Jamaica, I will be heading to either Ochio Rios, Runaway Bay or Montego Bay. Yes, I am not sure where yet because of pricing when I am going to get my ticket. I am currently waiting for my friend to get her passport straight and then we can decide together. But it seems the closer you are to a tourist destination the more expensive it is. There are so many things to look into when choosing a hotel.
- Is it around spring break time? And will there be a bunch of college age kids running around and partying?
- How many stars is it? Are you good with staying at anything below a four star?
- How accessible is the hotel? Do you have a to climb a massive hill then to the tenth floor because they decided they won’t be putting in elevators? (this happened to me a few years ago. They refuse to put elevators in because the hotel was in a historical building – *eye-roll*) – how close to the action is your hotel?
- If its a little bit of a drive, do they have access to licensed cabs.
- Is it all inclusive? And by all-inclusive I mean, do you get all your drinks and food included?
- If you’re a person who is joined at the hips to social network, does this hotel have free wi-fi?
- Is the hotel in a safe place?
- What are other people saying about this hotel and its staff?
- Is there a secure safe in the hotel that you can leave your things?
And those are just some of the questions you need to ask. It may sound like a bunch and I’m being obsessive but you want to make sure you do enough on your end to have an amazing time away. And sure, you may say why do I care? I just need to sleep there and leave my stuff there!Valid points but when you do go to sleep you want to make you are comfortable.
Picking a hotel should be something to do based on your personality as well. If you go to a party hotel when you’re a reader that wouldn’t end very well because you would have no quiet time at all. If you go to a hotel that caters to adventure seekers, that is not a good fit either. For people like me, the romantics. We love the thought of being in love and being in love with. We need a hotel with spectacular views of the ocean by day and the city at nights. I want a hotel with places I can wander on the property and just dream while breathing. So scenic trails and beach views during dimmer is super important. I will post more on the Jamaica Inn in another post but this hotel has all of that it seems.
The next time you look for a place to stay, look into it and make sure it caters to you.