A touchy subject – I know. But it has to be talked about. We can’t just sweep this under the rug. September 11th will always be synonymous with the horrible events of that day. What we now have to live with is the almost too invasive procedure to get through any airport onto a plane. To say security has been beefed up would be an understatement.
Since we love travel we have to deal with it. Here are some tips to hopefully make your travel much easier.
- When travelling book your flight in advance. Not only is this better for you to save a few dollars, it is less of a hassel.
- Before even leaving your house, you have to pack, right? So pack the right things. If you go to your flights website they will have a list of things prohibited. This means, these are things you must never pack or things you can’t pack into your carry on. Things like weapons or drugs are big givens to NOT pack or carry. But things like a giant bottle of mouth wash,
toothpaste, or shower gell and shaving cream must be packed in your actual suitcase, NOT your carry on. Read these lists carefully. Not only read these lits but adhere to them. This will cut down on the hassle of them pulling you aside and digging through your things and unmentionables because you decide not to take this precaution.
- Dress appropriately. If you’re going in the summer, wear a pair of shorts and a short sleeve shirt with sandals. If you wear running shoes they’re going to make you take them off along with your socks. At least if they force you to take off the sandals, it wont hold you up because you just slip your feet out and back in. Do not wear earrings, they sometimes set off the machine–another reason for them to pull you aside and search you. Do not wear anything that will cause this. It’s not worth the hassle or the invasion of your personal space.
- Eat a healthy meal before you leave the house. If you have a short flight, then you don’t have to worry about purchasing airport food or even airplane food.
- Be at the airport three to four hours before you have to get on your plane and go. Why so early? Well you have to check in and just in case there is anything that crops up you wont be ripping your hair out because your plane is ready to leave and they’re screaming your name over the P.A system. You may ask why so early? Well it takes time to go through the check points. And you really don’t want to stand in a long line with all your bags wondering what’s the hold up. It’s better to be their early and walk around the inside of the airport rather than be stuck in that line–right?
- Do not bring any form of liquid with you. If you want water, bring an empty water bottle and once you clear the security and is ‘on the inside’ find a water fountain. If you are adverse to this idea–the idea of getting your water from the fountain–then buy a bottle of water. Sure, its probably over priced, but again, not worth the hassle.
- Before boarding, use the bathroom and find your gate. This way you won’t have to do much walking about once you are on the plane.
- On the plane, behave yourself. Refrain from drinking alcohol. Most people get rowdy when they drink and if you’re one of them just don’t drink.
Follow these rules and you should have a little easier time getting through airports.